Wednesday, August 13, 2014

What I've Painted Wesnesday • Decisions: An Apple


Guess what guys?! It's Wednesday! You know what that means?! Yes! #WhatIvePaintedWednesday! These past couple of weeks I've had some trouble posting, but finally! Here it is....
So for one of my painting 2 class projects, basically the first of that semester, we were to use an apple in our painting.  I really enjoyed this class.  This class consisted of learning how to make your own paint.  This being our first painting, we made acrylic paint. We used the pigment of our choice and mixed it in with an acrylic medium to make a paste. It was totally fun and I enjoyed the challenge.
Not only did we have to make our own paint for this class, but our instructor also gave us a theme or an object that had to be included in the painting. Having it be an apple, I had several ideas in mind.

This painting obviously has many meanings to it. It's a bit personal, (what painting isn't right?) things I've struggled with all my life. And that's why I love to paint and create. It consumes me.

I used a real apple I cut, as my model while I painted.  I obviously had to take pictures of it as well before it turned brown in case I took longer to finish. 
I remember wanting to add more objects to the piece, but also wanted to keep it simple yet complex.   I like to work in odd numbers, hence the apple, ladders, and tree and the three different colors.  For the background, I always tend to keep it like this, just a color.  It's something I do unconsciously.  Maybe its my style, that says something about me. Or maybe I just over-analyze everything a bit too much, haha.

As soon as the apple was done, I still didn't feel too sure about the background as it was originally purple. I have no idea why it was this color in the first place, but I tried using a photo editor to see what color would look best.  Then it clicked. Complimentary colors, duh.  Making it a brighter green only helped it even more. 

This is still one of my favorite pieces. It was actually featured on Artista Social's Latin American Art Facebook Page, Twitter, and Instagram as the Artista Social Art of the Day back in 2012.  You can just imagine how immensely happy I was when I received their email.

Decisions are hard to make, even when you know there's only one way to go.

♥Angie



No comments:

Post a Comment