Wednesday, July 23, 2014

What I've Painted Wednesday • My Paper Bomb

Hey guys! Here's my first #whativepaintedwednesday! And also my first ever piece for a painting class. I thought that would be appropriate, although the following paintings for sure won't be in order. I promise I'm not that OCD, haha.  So this piece was done for my Painting 1 class, years back. We had to include a paper sack/bag into the painting some way or another.  I always like these kinds of challenges.  They tend to become very personal.  This piece also had to do with us or describe us in some way.  I remember coming up with the idea, but trying to push it to the back of my mind while looking for something else.  That sometimes doesn't work, as once I have an idea, I just have to create it.  It's a need.  But that's just me.

This painting is about me personally keeping it all in, everything.  Every single feeling, emotion, words, anything and everything, until I just can't. That's how I felt, as if I would just explode like a bomb.  That's how I felt back them.  Of course now I've gotten better.  I've learned ways to deal with things and how to take out my stress and frustration, and worries in a healthy way.


The ribbon in this piece is not only there because I'm known for wearing ribbon on my hair, but also to represent or symbolize the real me. That's always there all along and not lost, I decided to use purple for no apparent reason. It once was my favorite color, but while painting this I just identified with the color.  I did this same thing in a self portrait back in a high school project where I sewed purple thread into the black and white painting.
I later found out a purple ribbon is also worn to raise awareness of several causes including epilepsy, of which I suffered from until about the age of 15. Coincidence? I think not.

Through some of my upcoming paintings you'll be able to see that the background of my pieces tends to be one color with no actual background to the picture. It's as if the object is floating in the air and I've thought about this several times.  I  do this without even thinking. I get an idea and think only of that object or scene, but not of what's happening around it.

I really enjoyed this project and will maybe continue with more pieces for some sort of series.


Angie 

No comments:

Post a Comment